The first record of Quoits indicates that it originated in the Border countries between England and Scotland. It was prohibited by Edward III. In 1545 Roger Ascham wrote ‘Quoiting be too vile for scholars’. It was not until the 1890s that the Bristol and District Quoits League was formed.
The Quoits used were iron rings, the heaviest being about 5 pounds each, whilst the lighter being between 2 and 3 pounds each. The diameter could not be more than 8½ inches or less than 3½ inches.
Some parts of the country used heavy quoits and played on a bed of blue clay which was covered with wet sacks to prevent the clay from drying out. Others played with the light quoits on grass beds, as the Arrow did in Bristol. The length of the pitches varied according to the weight but usually 11 yards for the heavy and 18 yards for the light. Most teams comprised 8 players with 2 quoits each and the game ended when one of the players reached 11 points.
At the end of each playing area an iron rod was driven down into the clay or grass bed until it protruded no more than 4 inches. Points were awarded, 2 for a ‘ringer’ and one for each quoit nearer the rod than the opponents. Quoits could be dislodged or pushed out of the bed so that accurate measuring was essential.
On the 9th August 1901 the Arrow played Horfield on the Arrow bed and were defeated by a narrow margin of 61 points to 62.
The Quoits on display in the pavilion were presented to the club, the 2 heavy ones by Gordon James, of the Tyning Inn, Radstock, and the light one by Mr A. George of Chew Magna.